– versión en español abajo –

After coming back from Hong Kong, a little partying in Shanghai and a hasty morning of re-packing, barely half alive I rested my forehead on the cold window of a train to Beijing. I tried to sleep the trip off, which I almost managed except for a few moments of conciousness thanks to the strong smell of chinese food and/or their habit of speaking like they are the only ones in the room.

After 4 hours of traveling we found ourselves in the crowdy Beijing Railway Station. It wasn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last while in China… but we just couldn’t find our way out. After turning around and around, calls and a certain amount of waiting we finally found our hostess for the week: Ana María, or how she prefers “Anita”, a chilean teacher living and working in Beijing who, when asked to receive us by a mutual friend, didn’t hesitate on accepting.

We called a “Didi”, the chinese Uber, in a hurry as to get in time for our restaurant reservation. It was there were we first discovered one of the many witticisms of Anita. When using Didi you usually communicate with the driver via translatables text messages, but it is not unusual for the driver to call; when this happened Anita nonchalantly passed on the cellphone to the first chinese woman that crossed our path, while simply pointing to the phone and repeating “Didi”. What surprised me even more was that the woman barely showed a sign of surprise and just went on to tell the driver our exact location.

We had a lovely and quiet evening with some pretty gourmet food to prepare ourselves of the contrast of the next day. Not that it wasn’t lovely, but it was certainly not quiet

dorky picture at the restaurant’s backyard – sitting Chinese style

or gourmet-y. We visited Lama Temple, one of the most important temples right in the center of Beijing.What set this temple appart from what we had visited so far, even the Big Buddha, was the spirituality that floated there. It didn’t feel like yet another touristic place. Taking pictures was not allowed in every room — most of the visitors were praying or simply admiring the place. Like that we went, in a succession of rooms and statues decorated with furios gold, orange and red.

A couple of hours went by until we decided to sit down on the steps of one of the buildings to eat our lunch: crackers, cheese, nuts and a plastic cup of wine. While we were savoring these a temple worker came by, he approached us with that childish curiosity an big smile that is so particular of the Chines. Immediately Anita offered him some of our snacks; which he rejected at first, but Anita kept insisting until he finally accepted some. A tacit social rule for the chinese… one must always, at first, nicely reject when you are offered something while the one offering must always insist vehemently. Otherwise you were never really willing to give, but just pretending to be nice. After this voulez-vous and communicating through signs, he went away suddenly. We thought that was the end of our little exchange, but after a couple of minutes he reappeared, this time, to give us what must’ve been the most meaningful moment we had in our trip. DSC_0898He had brought with him a prayer wheel, a cylindrical wheel with a pendulum attached to it, which one must turn around while repeating the mantra om mani padme hum om mani padme hum om mani padme hum… we repeated until we vibrated with the words, even relaxed with them. As if the wonderful smile he gave us wasn’t enough, after we learned the mantra and sang it with him a couple times, once again he went away in a hurry, to come back with his hands full of fruits for us.

We parted with a full tummy and a happy heart and headed to “Temple of Heaven” a temple visited only once a year by the emperor, to pray and speak “one on one” with God. We wandered around peaking here and there; the english signs were brief and undetailed, so we stuck with admiring architecture. Hence, I’d rather not stuff you with a extense descriptive language when that captured by my “third eye” proves to be more efficient.

Entering … always carrying my little backpatchy 😉
The main building. Where the emperor used to kneel down to pray. Sadly we were barely able to see inside.

Still, there is one anecdote I can’t possibly avoid. Temple of Heaven consist in a series of religious and spiritual buildings, one of them surrounded by “The Echo Wall” which, like the name hints, has a special quality: if you speak close enough to the stonewall, you can be heard at any point of the huge circumference it forms. Of course the situation changes a bit when you have a bunch of tourists trying this out. We were not the exception; while Anita and I tried to hear my dad out from a couple of meters of distance, a child appeared to have misunderstood the point and wouldn’t stop screaming to make himself heard. By the third shout, Anita’s patience ran out, and to the chilean style she shouted back “pero dejá de gritar chinito huev@n!”* the kid didn’t seem to get the, oh very subtle, hint while me and my dad were bursting in laughter.

Our third day still seems a bit surreal to me. While we took the metro I found myself flooded by memories of magazines and conversations with my grandmother: she was the one who introduced me to the 7 Wonders of the World. That time, little me promised herself that someday she would visit them all. As I grew up, it became a distant, almost impossible dream… up until that day: we were heading to the Great China Wall. We got there, and eyes went up stairs that seemed to go on forever, but nothing could discourage me. Besides, competitivity and a passion for challenges swims through my parents’ blood. Setting our feet steady, we went up and up. A mercyful breeze licked our sweat and the eternity of stairs was eventually over. We had reached the wall and Beijing’s sky, unlike usual, gifted us with a blue forget-me-not. Wherever my eyes reached, they could see the wall going on and on between the hill’s green. Thousands of rock, a thousand of hands, a thousand of years. And this instant.

The rest of the way went by in between “oooohs” and “aaaahs” and my dad saying “Renata GO SLOWER IT IS WAY TOO STEEP” while we went up yet more stairs. But everything that goes up, must come down, and to our luck it wasn’t going down steps: but a slide. Yes, a slide. At the Great China Wall, awesome right?

In spite of the heat and fatigue, our very touristic day didn’t end here. We had planned to visit “Forbidden City” or how i like to call it: the Emperor’s own suburb. Here, our chance decided to stablish a little balance. While in the Wall we had barely seen tourists. Forbidden City was not only immensly crowded, but full of safety measures and restricted areas because of a diplomatic comittee. The first few buildings were impressive, we saw the separate chambers of the Emperor and the Empress, the room set up for hosting political guests… and so on. There came a point though, when the weariness reigned over me; everything seemed the same and I just kept moving foward and foward hopping for the exit. When we finally got out, to my dismay, my dad had not a better idea than to climb more stairs!

This last leg-trembling climb led us to a beautiful Chinese pagoda, and I view of the city I did not have the strenght immortalize in photo that did it justice.

To maintain our now daily “touristic” excercise, the last day we must have walked what a normla person walk in a week. Besides Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven, the Emperor also had a Summer-exclusive Palace. What we didn’t know was that there was a Old Summer Palace and a New one, being the last one the one we were interested in. Of course I wouldn’t be explaining this to you if we hadn’t messed up. We spent all morning walking around an inmense garden, trying to decipher the maps to get to the Palace. We didn’t figure out we were in the wrong place up until we had walked 2kms into the park. We breathed in and out and accepted our confusion with a zen attitude, just enjoying the long way of chinese gardening until the metro station.

In a famelic state, we finally got the the “New” Summer Palace, where luck smiled at us in the form of food posts. Rice buns in hand, we toured the Palace. The biggest test to our dedication as tourist came when we had yet another flair of stairs to go up to the main entrance. We the  procceeded to descend to the galeries and hallways where the Emperor used to take long strolls in order to think, enjoying of a view of an artificial lake. Here, the scene couldn’t be more Chinese. Huge families enjoying the lake’s breeze, resting from the heat, some snacking, others sleeping in the most unusual positions: sitting, laying on the floor or proving a extraordinary balance on top of the railings that outlined the hallway. After getting refreshed with Tsing Tao (a chinese beer made with rice ferment) and with a typical matcha ice-scream, we tackled our long way back to the appartment.

That last night, we had set up a goodbye dinner date with Anita. Having seen almost all of Beijing’s worth and with more blisters than feet, we contented ourselves with some hindu food delivery and a deserved bottle of wine. We spent the evening telling Anita about our inncesant wandering and laughing our guts off to her observations about our “tourist fever”.

The next day, we barely got to the train to sink into a doze of silk fabric, temples and old fairytales of emperors; the capital of one of the oldest civilizations whispering goodbye to my ear.

See you again soon, China.


                                       ——————————- ESPAÑOL ————————————-

Después de enganchar la vuelta de Hong Kong, una noche de salida en Shanghai y unas horas de re-empacar, semi viva apoyaba mi frente en la ventanilla fría de un tren a Beijing. Traté de engañar las horas del viaje durmiendo, lo que casi conseguí salvo por ciertos momentos de consciencia proveídos por el fuerte olor de los varios snacks chinos y/o por el hábito que tienen de hablar como si fuera que están solos.

Luego de 4 horas de viaje llegamos a la concurrida estación de tren de Beijing. No fue la primera vez que nos pasaba, ni será la última mientras estemos en China … pero  no encontrábamos la salida de la estación. Después de varias vueltas, llamadas y espera por fin nos encontramos con nuestra anfitriona de la semana: Ana María, o como a ella le gustaba “Anita”, una profesora chilena viviendo y trabajando en Beijing que, cuando una amiga en común le pidió que nos reciba, no dudó ni un segundo en decir que sí.

Apurados para no perder nuestra reserva en un restaurant, llamamos un “Didi” el Uber chino. Aquí descubríamos una de las tantas ocurrencias de Anita. Sucede que uno puede agendar la búsqueda a través de mensajes con traducción, pero muchas veces el conductor también se comunica a través de llamadas, sin más Anita pasó el celular a la primera mujer china con la que se cruzó, simplemente apuntando y repitiendo Didi. Pero creo que aún más particular fue que la mujer agarró el celular sin mucha sorpresa e indicó al conductor exactamente donde estábamos para luego finalizar la llamada y devolvernos el celular con una sonrisa.

Esculturas del patio del restaurante.

Tuvimos una linda y tranquila velada con comida gourmet, para prepararnos para el contraste que representaría el siguiente día a estas características. No es que no haya sido maravilloso, pero definitivamente no fue tranquilo ni “gourmet”. Salimos temprano del apartamento y llegamos Lama Temple, un amplio templo Buddhista en el centro de Beijing. A diferencia de los otros templos que había visitado, e incluso monumentos como el Buddha gigante, lo maravilloso de éste lugar es la espiritualidad presente. No se sentía como un lugar turístico. Las fotografías estaban muy reguladas — la mayoría de los visitantes se encontraba rezando, o simplemente admirando. Así fuimos, en una sucesión de construcciones con diferentes estatuas y decoraciones de naranjas, dorados, amarillos y rojos furiosos.

Pasaron unas horas hasta que decidimos sentarnos en uno de los escalones del templo a comer nuestro almuerzo: galletitas saladas, queso, nueces y un vasito de vino. Mientras comíamos se acercó uno de los trabajadores del templo, con esa curiosidad y sonrisa infantil que caracteriza a los chinos. Enseguida Anita le ofreció un poco, a lo cual él se negó, pero Anita insistió vehementemente hasta que por fin aceptó. Regla tácita social de oro: no es de buena educación aceptar inmediatamente como lo es no insistir, sino uno nunca quiso dar y el ofrecimiento fue sólo para aparentar amabilidad. Luego de este voulez-vous, y de comunicarnos a través de señales, el hombre se marchó repentinamente. Pensamos que ese era el fin del intercambio, pero después de unos minutos, se nos acercó de vuelta, ésta vez para regalarnos uno de los momentos de intercambio cultural más bello que tuvimos. Había traído consigo una rueda de plegaria,DSC_0898 una rueda cilíndrica montada sobre un eje para asirla y girarla junto al péndulo que cuelga de ella. Con paciencia nos enseñó el mantra que la acompaña om mani padme hum om mani padme hum om mani padme hum… repetir hasta vibrar con las palabras, relajarse con ellas. Como si la sonrisa que nos regaló al final del mantra no hubiera sido suficiente, una vez más se marchó apurado para volver con las manos llenas de frutas para compartir.

Con el estómago lleno y el corazón contento nos dirigimos al “Templo del Cielo” un templo visitado sólo una vez al año por el emperador para orar y hablar directamente con Dios. Aquí recorrimos un poco sin rumbo, las explicaciones en inglés eran cortas y superficiales así que nos dedicamos a admirar la cuando arquitectura. Por tanto, prefiero no aburrirles con palabras descriptivas lo capturado con mi “tercer ojo” resulta más eficiente.

La entrada principal, yo siempre acompañada por mi mochilita viajera 😉
El edificio principal, el lugar donde el Emperador se arrodillaba a orar. Lastimosamente era muy difícil apreciar el interior, por la gente y la oscuridad que reinaba allí.

Aún así, hay una anécdota que no puedo dejar de relatar. “El Templo del Cielo” consiste en varias construcciones religiosas, una de ellas rodeada de “La Pared del Eco” que, como lo dice el nombre, tiene una cualidad especial: si uno se acerca y habla cerca del muro de piedra, puede ser escuchado desde cualquier punto de la gran circunferencia. Claro que ésto se ve distorsionado en la presencia de una centena de turistas tratando de hacerse escuchar. Nosotros no éramos la excepción; mientras Anita y yo intentábamos escuchar a mi papá que se encontraba hablando a unos metros, un niño había malinterpretado el punto y no dejaba de gritar para hacerse escuchar. El tercer grito colmó la paciencia de Anita, y muy al estilo chileno le grita de vuelta “pero dejá de gritar chinito huev*n!” basta decir que el niño no se dio por aludido en lo más minimo mientras mi papá y yo nos doblábamos de la risa.

Nuestro tercer día sigue siendo un poco surreal para mí. Mientras tomábamos el metro para acercarnos al destino, me inundaban recuerdos de revistas y conversaciones en lo de mi abuela: el anuncio de todos los años de las 7 Maravillas del Mundo; la fascinación que éstas me producían y esa promesa que me había hecho de visitarlas todas. Mientras fui creciendo me iba alejando de esta ilusión infantil, hasta ese día, cuando por fin visitaría la Muralla China. Llegamos, y con la vista recorrí escaleras que parecían seguir eternamente, pero nada me podía desanimar. Además, la competitividad y la pasión por el desafío es algo que en la sangre de mi familia no falta. Pisando seguro, fuimos subiendo. Una brisa piadosa nos lamía la piel y la eternidad de escaleras eventualmente se acabó. Habíamos llegado a la muralla y el cielo de Beijing, por costumbre gris, nos regalaba un azul no me olvides. Por donde extendiera la vista, la muralla seguía entre el verde de las colinas. Miles y miles de piedras, miles y miles de manos, miles y miles de años. Y un instante.

El recorrido transcurrió entre “ohhhhs”, “aaaahs” y “Renata ANDÁ DESPACIO ES MUY EMPINADO” mientras subíamos (de vuelta) varias escaleras. Pero todo lo que sube, tiene que bajar, y para nuestra suerte no fue por escaleras: tuvieron la brillante idea de instalar un tobogán para bajar. Sí, un tobogán. En la muralla China. Sep.

A pesar del calor y el cansancio, nuestro día turístico no terminaba aquí. Nos habíamos propuesto visitar “La Ciudad Prohibida” o como yo le llamo, el condominio privado del Emperador. Aquí, la suerte estableció equilibrio. En la muralla China apenas nos habíamos topado con turistas, mientras que “La Ciudad Prohibida” no solamente estaba atiborrada de ellos, sino que las medidas de seguridad para una comitiva diplomática nos impidió ciertas libertades a la hora de recorrer. Los primeros edificios resultaron impresionantes, los aposentos del Emperador — y aparte los de la Emperatriz, el lugar de reuniones políticas … pero llegó un punto en el que  el cansancio me nublaba y ya todo parecía igual, seguía avanzando y avanzando en automático, entre el calor de los rojos y de las piedras. Cuando por fin salimos, mi papá no tuvo mejor idea que, subir MÁS escaleras!

Después de esta subida con las piernas temblorosas, llegamos a esta hermosa pagoda China, y a una vista la cual ya no tuve la fuerza de fotografiar como se debía.

Para mantener el ejercicio turístico, el último día, habremos caminado lo que una persona normal camina en una semana. Además de la Ciudad Prohibida y del Templo del Cielo, el Emperador también tenía un Palacio exclusivo para el verano. Lo que nosotros no sabíamos, es que existe un Viejo Palacio de Verano y el Nuevo Palacio de Verano, siendo éste último de nuestro interés. Obviamente no les estaría explicando esto si no nos hubiéramos equivocado de locación. Nos pasamos toda la mañana merodeando por un jardín inmenso, tratando de descifrar los mapas para encontrar el Palacio. No fue hasta después de adentrarnos como 2kms en el terreno, que entendimos que nos habíamos equivocado de lugar. Aceptamos la confusión con una actitud bastante zen, disfrutando del paisajismo chino, mientras nos guiábamos a la salida en la cual tomaríamos el metro.

Hambrientos, llegamos por fin al Nuevo Palacio de Verano (nuevo es un decir…) donde nos encontramos con la agradable sorpresa de múltiples puestitos de comida. Bollitos de arroz en mano, fuimos visitando el Palacio; la prueba póstuma de nuestra dedicación como turistas consistió en conseguir las fuerzas para subir, una vez más, una buena cantidad de escaleras. Luego descendimos hacia las galerías y pasillos que rodean un lago artificial, donde el Emperador solía realizar caminatas sumido en sus pensamientos. Aquí, la escena no podía ser más popularmente china. Familias enteras aprovechando la brisa, descansando del calor, algunos comiendo y otros durmiendo en las posiciones más inusuales: sentados, en el piso, acostados con un equilibrio insólito sobre barandas que delineaban la galería. Luego de refrescarnos con un poco Tsing Tao (una cerveza china hecha a base de arroz) y de un típico heladito de matcha, emprendimos el retorno.

Esa última noche, nos dimos cita con Anita para una cena de despedida. Habiendo visto casi todo Beijing y con ampollas en los pies, nos limitamos a un delivery de comida hindú y una merecida botella de vino. Pasamos la velada relatando a Anita nuestras andanzas y destornillándonos de risa ante sus observaciones sobre nuestra locura, nuestra “fiebre de turistas” para haber recorrido tanto.

Al día siguiente, llegamos a duras penas para desplomarnos en los asientos del tren y hundirnos en un sopor de telas de seda, dragones, templos e historias de emperadores; la capital de una de las civilizaciones más antiguas susurrándome al oído.

Así, despidiendome de China… con un hasta pronto.


One thought on “Beijing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s